What is the CE mark and why is it so important to find it in toys?
If you have never heard about it, I will explain you shortly here what it is and where to find it.
This is the official definition according to the EU:
Regarding toys, it is very important to pay attention to certain characteristics, checking that the toy is safe to be used with children. Here are some of those categories: E
- Traceability: the origin of the toy has to be easy to provide or identify in case to be consulted by a customer or a European Authority.
- Flammability: in the event of the toy being close to a direct heat source, it should not explode, burst in flames or produce toxic fumes.
- Design: the toys should be design in a way that they do not represent a risk for the users.
- Toys for children under 36 months of age, and any of its parts, should be big enough on order to avoid inhalation or swallowing. This norm also refers to toys designed to be put into the mouth and all their parts.
Those are some of the most important rules that a maker has to follow while creating a toy, especially if it is designed for babies.
For more detailed information, read the European Directive here.
Then, why is it so important that you look for it on the products you buy?
The CE tag guarantees that the product, either made in Europe or in another continent, complies with the mandatory safety conditions (flammability, toxicity, usability….)
If the product it not marked with he CE tag, it can be a risk for you and your family and should be brought to the authorities immediately.
Where do you find this marking?
It has to be positioned on a visible place, either sewn into it with a tag, like the DucknRabbit products or placed on the wrapping box.
How do I recognize it?
I am pretty sure you have seen it a million times, and either didn’t know what it was, or did not pay attention to it.
On the DucknRabbit products you will find it printed on a tag and sewed into the body of the toy, since my products don’t come inside a box.
Which kind of products carry the CE marking?
Here is a list of items that are required to follow certain controls and rules in order to obtain the CE tag:
- Electrical equipment
- Health products
- Personal protection equipment
Probably, right now you are not thinking on buying an elevator, but maybe you are considering buying a new microwave or a toy for your little one.
I hope this tips have canguide you and help you when you decide to buy your next item.